I’m available to teach private yoga classes or group yoga classes at studios, workplaces or in a home setting anywhere on the Sunshine Coast.
I currently teach a number of different styles or traditions of Yoga including Breath Focus Yoga (Yoga in the tradition of Krishnamacharya), Bikam Yoga (Hot Yoga) and Yoga Nidra (deep relaxation).
Bikram Yoga Kawana, Birtinya
(Breath Focus Yoga, Relaxation, Meditation & Bikram Yoga)
Breath Focus Yoga
Breath Focussed Yoga comes from the authentic teaching tradition of T.Krishnamacharya and T.K.V. Desikachar. During each class you will practice physical movements (asana) and breathing exercises (pranayama). Depending on the focus or goal, we may include sound (mantra), visualisation (bhavana) and meditation (dharana). Through practice, you will learn how these tools can help you at different times through life. For example, a strong morning practice to invigorate, a gentle evening practice to relax, breathing exercises to strengthen your immune system or to release stress & anxiety, mantra to motivate or to just let go…
- Each class or series of classes may have a different focus or goal.
- The class incorporates a varied selection of postures and may include a combination of standing, lying in supine & prone, inversions, kneeling and seated positions.
- Postures are performed in vinyasa (moving in & out of the posture several times), static (staying in a posture for a period of time) or a combination of vinyasa and static.
- Every movement is queued by the breath. Specific techniques like breath retention may also be introduced depending on the focus of the class and experience of the students.
- Several forms of classical breathing exercises (pranayama) may be practiced, usually at the end of the class.
- The room is not heated.
- The class is 75 min.
Bikram Yoga (Hot Yoga)
Bikram’s Beginning Yoga Class is a twenty-six asana (posture) series designed to warm and stretch muscles, ligaments and tendons. The intention is that proper weight, muscle tone, vibrant good health, and a sense of well being will follow. The thought of practicing yoga in front of floor to ceiling mirrors may feel confronting and intimidating but sometimes we have to see clearly and feel strongly to be motivated to change!
- Each class is a set sequence of 26 postures + 2 breathing exercises.
- The sequence includes a standing series (postures practiced in a standing position) and a floor series (postures practiced lying in supine & prone, kneeling and sitting positions).
- All postures are performed in static (once you move into the postures, you remain still for a period of time before moving out of the posture).
- There are queues for breathing but no specific control of the breath while practicing the postures.
- Bikram Yoga has two specific breathing (pranayama) exercises: a warm up at the start of class and Kapalabhati (fast abdominal breathing) at the end of the class.
- The room is heated to approximately 36 – 40 deg C.
- The class is 90 min or 60 min.